Did you know that literacy improves employment opportunities and can lead to higher wages? Workplace literacy refers to the skills and abilities employees need to have to function effectively, efficiently and safely in the workplace.
There are free Adult Literacy and Basic Skills programs which will help with reading, writing and working with numbers as well as services to Assess your Essential Skills.
- programs may offer small group classes or one-to-one tutors
In Oxford County various agencies deliver the Literacy and Basic Skills programs at the following locations:
- Woodstock -
Multi-Service Centre at Community Employment Services Woodstock - Offering continuous entry, year-round programming, day and evening programs, sensitivity to individual needs, individual tutors, small groups and classes, individual training programs. View the brochure here.
Blossom Park Adult Education Centre - The Literacy and Basic Skills Program helps adults who need some upgrading, need to gain skills for the workplace, or need to prepare for high school or community college.
Fanshawe College - LBS is a program that offers English and mathematics upgrading, basic computer skills, teamwork, communications and other skills needed in the workplace.
WERC - This is an individualized, pre-credit, skills upgrading program. The program focuses on adult women who need to improve their literacy and/or numeracy skills.
- Ingersoll -
Ingersoll CES (formerly ILERC) - Students must be over 18 and attend a minimum of 10 hours per week. Learners can upgrade in writing, math, reading and life skills, grade levels 1-9. Instructors help the student set goals toward empoyment, training/education and independence.
- Norwich -
Norwich CES (formerly NLERC) - This program offers individualized programming for remedial and tutorial help. The setting is a one to one or small group (maximum 4 people) learning environment. Individualized learning styles and differences are accommodated. People from Junior Kindergarten to adulthood are included in this program.
- Tillsonburg -
Tillsonburg & District Multi Service Centre - Adult students receive assistance with reading, writing and spelling skills. Assistance is provided by a trained instructor in a small group, or by trained volunteer tutors in a one-to-one tutor/student match. The program is open to adults 19 years and older.
- Workplace Literacy
- Literacy Link South Central - Search for programs in Elgin, Middlesex, Oxford,Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk Counties or look in the Yellow Pages under "Learn" 1-800-561-6896
- Ontario Ministry of Education - Literacy and Basic Skills
- Thames Valley District School Board - Literacy and Basic Skills site
- Canadian Literacy and Learning Network
- ABC Life Literacy Canada
- National Adult Literacy Database
- Six Nations Polytechnic - Literacy Achievment Centre
- Ontario Native Literacy Coalition
- Community Literacy of Ontario
- AlphaPlus - inlcudes online learning